"A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."
~George Moore

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft

A Biwa made by Kakuho Ohashi
Orange sage wood, whale baleen, sharkskin, and hand woven silk strings.


Wood bowl with natural edges

Llyod E. "Hog" Mattingly's replicas of the historical buildings in the town of Lebanon Junction as they stood during his childhood. Built in 1982.

Although these are simply replicas, they have such a historic lived-in feel about them that makes them personal. I wanted to shrink myself and walk into each of these buildings. In doing this I believe I would feel the history that existed in these actual buildings of Lebanon Junction. As if Llyod's memories that were used for inspiration were passed to me through these pieces. Each replica is beautifully crafted. I have seen very few works of art this genuine, personal and evoked as much emotion in me.































No comments:

Post a Comment